Arsenal Development Team/Squad – Under-23s, Under-21s, Under-19s and Under-18s
Arsenal Development Team/Squad? The Arsenal developmental team comprises of the Under-23s, Under-21s, Under-19s and Under-18s. It is filled with young players who are learning the game and slowly growing from one age group to another.
The old reserve league was replaced by the new Under-23 nationwide league from the 2012/13 season. Previously it was seasoned professionals who got to feature in the reserve side to prove themselves to the coaches along with the club’s young players.
How it works:
Now, with a separate system for the Under-23s, Under-21s and lower age groups, the younger players have a fairer shot at breaking through to the club’s senior side.
A small number of ‘over-age’ players who are established in the first-team can be selected on occasions like when returning from injury or in need of match fitness.
The Arsenal academy is based out of Hale End, London, England. The academy teams play in the Professional Developmental League which is the highest level of youth football in England.
The club also takes part in the FA Youth Cup and UEFA Youth League competitions and is currently managed by ex-Arsenal defender, Per Mertesacker.
Arsenal Developmental Team/Squad – Under-23 Team
Take note that the Arsenal developmental team/squad are always changing with players getting promoted and discharged before, after and even during an on-going season.
|Out On Loan|
|37||DF||Krystian Bielik (on loan to Charlton Athletic)|
|45||GK||Matt Macey (on loan to Plymouth Argyle)|
|55||MF||Emile Smith Rowe (on loan to RB Leipzig)|
|48||MF||Reiss Nelson (on loan to Hoffenheim)|
|98||MF||Kelechi Nwakali (on loan to FC Porto B|
International Arsenal Academy Graduates
As you know, Arsenal have produced a lot of talented players who have gone on to represent themselves at the highest level of football. However, nothing speaks of the system’s success than to see their very own players take the pitch for their own countries.
Here we take a look at all the Arsenal academy graduates who have gone on to represent their countries in the international stage:
|International Academy Graduates|
Find out more details about each age group below.
Arsenal Developmental Team/Squad – Achievements
Arsenal‘s Academy or Arsenal developmental team is one of the most distinguished and successful in England. Not only are they known for producing quality talents but also cause of the sheer number of trophies they have collected at this level.
They have won 7 FA Youth Cups and 6 Premier Academy League titles only to name a few. Take a look below at all of the Arsenal Academy’s achievements:
- Football & London Combination: 18
- 1922–23, 1926–27, 1927–28, 1928–29, 1929–30, 1930–31, 1933–34, 1934–35, 1936–37, 1937–38, 1938–39, 1946–47, 1950–51, 1962–63, 1968–69, 1969–70, 1983–84, 1989–90
- Football Combination Cup: 3
- 1952–53, 1967–68, 1969–70
- London FA Challenge Cup: 7
- 1933–34, 1935–36, 1953–54, 1954–55, 1957–58, 1962–63, 1969–70
- Kent League: 1
- West Kent League: 3
- 1900–01, 1901–02, 1902–03
- London League First Division: 3
- 1901–02, 1903–04, 1906–07
- Kent Junior Cup: 1
- London Professional Mid-Week League: 2
- 1931–32, 1952–53
- Eastern Counties League: 1
- Metropolitan League: 3
- 1958–59, 1960–61, 1962–63
- Metropolitan League Cup: 2
- 1960–61, 1965–66
- Metropolitan League Professional Cup: 2
- 1960–61, 1961–62
- Professional Development League & Premier Academy League: 6 (record)
- 1997–98 (U18), 1999–00 (U17), 2001–02 (U19), 2008–09 (U18), 2009–10 (U18), 2015–16 (Play-Off Winners) (U21)
- FA Youth Cup: 7
- 1965–66, 1970–71, 1987–88, 1993–94, 1999–00, 2000–01, 2008–09
- Premier League National Cup: 1
- South East Counties League: 4
- 1955–56, 1964–65, 1971–72, 1990–91
- South East Counties League Cup: 6
- 1959–60, 1960–61, 1961–62, 1963–64, 1970–71, 1979–80
- Southern Junior Floodlit Cup: 5
- 1962–63, 1965–66, 1984–85, 1990–91, 1997–98
- London Minor FA Cup: 1
- NextGen Series: 2012–13 Fourth place